The Adriatic-Ionian region has abundant potential for the development of sustainable tourism, yet the industry has a few weak points. As such, the ADRION 5 SENSES project was launched to address the lack of a sustainable tourism model based on innovative, high-quality products and services for tourists.
With a holistic approach to sight, smell, touch, taste and hearing, the project will develop effective branding strategies and increase the performance of the Adriatic-Ionian region by setting the groundwork to improve the visitor experience. This integrated approach (sensory marketing) is new and innovative in the Adriatic-Ionic region.
The overall goal is to establish and promote the ADRION brand in the tourism industry, engaging all five senses of tourists.
More specifically, the goal is to focus the efforts of ADRION stakeholders on the sustainable planning of physical and virtual environments and on the enhancement and conservation of natural/cultural heritage to create return visitors thanks to positive memories of their experience.
The project aims at using technology for the co-creation of advanced experiences. The Adriatic-Ionian region is perfectly suited to engaging the multi-sensory nature of visitor experiences in order to design those that deepen the potential of ICT.
Ten partners from different countries in the Adriatic-Ionian region (Greece, Italy, Croatia, Slovenia, Serbia, Bosnia Herzegovina, Montenegro and Albania).
The main results of the project include a joint strategy and an action plan for improved, more sustainable management of tourism in the Adriatic-Ionian region, the creation of the ADRION brand and demonstrative actions (sensory map, a multilingual web platform and exhibition centres) to benefit the local/regional/national authorities, SMEs, organisations that support businesses, universities, etc.
January 2018 – December 2019 – 24 months
Epirus Region – Ioannina (GR)
- Epirus Region – Ioannina (GR) – Lead partner;
- Development Agency of Evia SA – Greece;
- SIPRO, a Local Development Agency – Italy;
- Zadar County Development Agency ZADRA NOVA – Croatia;
- RDA of Northern Primorska Ltd. Nova Gorica – Slovenia
- Sarajevo Economic Region Development Agency – Bosnia Herzegovina;
- Regional Agency for Economic Development of Šumadija and Pomoravlje – Serbia;
- Albanian Development Fund – Albania
- National Tourism Organisation of Montenegro – Montenegro
- Ministry of Trade, Tourism and Telecommunications of the Republic of Serbia – Serbia